Its amazing how if you scratch a Democrat, under the fake out outer covering, they act just like a Republican. I dared to post some comments on the CommonDreams site that tried to point out that everything might not be as rosy as the Obamabots are saying it is in the glow of their victory. They tended to point out that Obama still supported the wars, was pushing the wall street bailout, and generally hadn't really promised anything 'progressive' during the campaign. And that he won the campaign with record amounts of corporate money in his accounts, topping the amounts Bush had run on.
Do that on a Democratic site like Common Dreams, and that gets you blocked and banned these days. The Democrats are as intolerant of dissent as the Republicans. That's going to be one of the interesting things to watch in the coming months, as all the 'progressives' start to wake up to that fact. Especially since the Democrats and Obama won't be enacting a progressive agenda and won't be following a 'progressive' foreign policy. When the true progressives start to raise their voices. When they try to do exactly what the Democrats said during the campaign that they should do and try to 'hold the Democrats feet to the fire.', when that colides with the little fact that the Democrats are as intolerent of dissent as the Republicans, then it will start to get interesting.
10 comments:
Hey Samson, it is I ~matti.~
I have also apparently been banned from CommonDreams.
But I can't seem to even READ the articles! I go to the home page of the site and its all groovy, then I click on an article and I just get this text message: "Sorry, -somelong number- has been banned".
I'm no expert in computers, so I thought that maybe it was just a problem with the site. But it is day two now and still the same.
My last post was in response to someone being flagged for nothing more than expressing doubts about Obama -no foul language, no anti-PC stuff, not attacks on other posters, just criticisms of Obama.
After joking about the fact that he had been flagged, I wrote "Failure to support Obama is now Thoughtcrime." The I was away from they computer for about half an hour and now I have no access to CD articles and no way to post comments.
I thought I was just being paranoid till I thought to find your blog and saw this post.
What do you think? Am I in the same boat with you only I got there differently? Or am I just mistaken and its a simple glitch?
Did you get any explanation for your ban? Or were you just cut off?
-matti.
What you are seeing is IP Address blocking. You get a message saying it could contact the site, but access was denied.
If you can turn off your router and reset it, and if you get a new IP address from your ISP on that new connection, you'll be able to access the articles again.
Of course, now CD just blocked some other random customer of your ISP from reading their articles.
No explanation given. No email sent to the address I used to login. Just a ban.
Of course, its not hard to set up a new user name. :)
Samson,Matti,...me too !!! and RichM also. Now I don't feel so bad...LOL
I had RichM's email addy from his article:
http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article17231.htm
I emailed him and he said he was blocked also.
Actually I am proud to be in your company.I am sad that CD has felt that it cannot support everyone's right to free speech.
So it goes.
Samson, thanks for letting me "rant"
Nannie...
I'm a stong believer in free speech. And even a strong believer that the only way there is free speech is you are willing to protect the rights of others to say things you would not agree with.
So, if I ever got enough readers to have a policy on comments, it would be something like this.
Profanity would be banned.
Pure name-calling would be banned. I'm happy to see debate on issues. But just pure name-calling goes nowhere useful.
But, if anyone wants to disagree me and provide a reasoned argument as to why, I'd be happy to allow it on any site of mine. That's called debate. Its healthy.
BTW, I'm still just surprised anyone reads this. I pretty much had felt I was just writing for empty air. :) Its good practice of course, but I'm still amazed that anyone even reads the site. :)
It is NOT anyone's paranoia--I am BANNED for the second time! And some of these are on other "propgersive" sites, and they wil not answer to it.
Next, they wil "Ban Obama from CD for saying 'mutt'"! YOu get NOTIHING. They are breaking tax laws. I saw their tax returns (as some of you may know---they have to show them to you as a 501 c 3.
I think that they aer hurting the Democrats cause--but they have always bveen good at that.
Have to go to bed. Just didnt want anyone to think it was al in their head!
Hello to all CD refugees! Yes, my IP was also summarily blocked by CD on the morning after the election. I got no explanation or warning, & my emails of inquiry went unanswered. I'm not surprised to see that posters like Samson, matti, Nannie (& I think also 'Little Brother') have also been banned. In fact, I'm honored to be in such good company.
CD's censorship is disgusting & hypocritical, but it's exactly what one should expect from Democrats. -- RichM
Thanks, rich...my sister had said something like that.
She's a prof at SUNY, I wrote and pasted her the "BAN"--she wrote back, "What an honor. Congratulations".
Dont people come in here much?
Little Mermaid looks kindve silly--lol--my dad is from Denmark and I dont have a pic of myself.
Samson,
I am another person ("USAn") who expressed criticism of Obama's credentials. And like other here, at my work location (where I posted much of my comments) I am now getting an HTTP 403 - forbidden message when I click on any Commondreams article. But every other co-worker's computer yields the same result!
Is it possible that, in order to keep me off their site, CD has also blocked access to their site from every computer in MSHA, of possibly the whole US Department of Labor - thousands of people?
(Yes, it is permissible for us to access news sites on break or lunch)
And in conjunction with this, my most frequently used user name "USAn" has been blocked with a message "USAn" is a reserved user name"
But there is a way around blocked usernames. Just click the "forgot my password" link and enter your e-mail address. This will give you a one-time login (for the purposes of changing your password) that will be persistent as long as you don't clear your saved web page settings and cache.
what I find most breathtaking about this is is how these Democrats told us to withhold our criticism - Obama is just being a "moderate" in order to get elected - but after that criticism from the left will be welcome.
But instead, immediately after his election, we saw vitriolic attacks against Nader and even Cindy Sheehan, and, at the #1 most visited website for progressives, an electronic equivalent of the "night of the long knives".
What is so stunning is that the Obama supporters approach toward Obama seems to be like that of a sports fan rather than activist for change, and Obama is their winning coach - so they don't DARE question what he plans to do now!
As an activist for single payer healthcare, I full expect these same liberals to ram their beloved Obama's Mitt-Romney style mandatory support of corporate healthcare down our throats.
It is frightening, very frightening.
Post a Comment