Democracy Now! Headlines

CommonDebate

For a site with links to articles, and free debate on issues, visit

Commondebate.blogspot.com

Tuesday, November 04, 2008

No issues

Watching CNN, at least for what I can take before the mute button gets pressed again. And I noticed something about their coverage. They are going into great depth about voters where they live and what their demographics are and who is voting for Obama and who is voting for McCain.

If you want to know that in S.Carolina, black voters went 96% to Obama and white voters went 72% to McCain, CNN will tell you all about that. If you want county by county breakdowns in Indiana of how many voted for Bush last time and how many are voting for McCain this time, CNN will tell you all about that.

But, I've been watching for probably an hour and half now, and I haven't heard any discussion of issues. The words 'war' or 'antiwar' are not mentioned. The word 'bailout' hasn't come up once. Wouldn't it be interesting to know how voters who oppose the war are splitting? Or how the minority who supports the war is voting? Wouldn't it be interesting to know how many voters are telling the exit pollsters they opposed the wall street bailout and how the voters who are upset over that are voting?

Of course, there's no difference in reality between Obama and McCain on these issues. So, mainly you'd be seeing the effects of the campaign propaganda. Even though McCain and Obama would follow the same basic course in our middle eastern wars, the two campaigns have tried to use different propaganda to create the illusion of a difference here. The same with the wall street bailout. So, it would be interesting to see the numbers on issues like this.

I'd imagine CNN will show that eventually. At least they usually do. But they are spending a lot of time on what I'd call 'identity politics'. That's telling, because it tells you a lot about an American election. Its not about choosing the course of the nation. Because both candidates will steer close to the same course. So, the election has to be about something else. There has to something to hype or to talk about. The people have to feel that they are deciding something. So, instead we see that blacks are supposed to vote for Obama and rural whites are supposed to vote for McCain. And, I'd suspect if you asked members of either group in person the question of why, the answer that would come back would be more about their identity instead of their policies.

No comments: