Democracy Now! Headlines

CommonDebate

For a site with links to articles, and free debate on issues, visit

Commondebate.blogspot.com

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Said it right .... again

There's an author out there named William Lind. I like reading his views on military policy, even if I don't always agree with his politics. But, I've got to give him kudos because for the second time in the short span for which I've been trying this, I've seen a quote from one of his pieces that says something so well that I've got to pull it out and put it here.

"The “Washington Game” is to create an image with the public that is a direct opposite to what the Senator or Congressman actually does behind closed doors"

and later in the same article ...

"Why do defense companies buy full-page ads in major newspapers? Not because anyone buys a fighter plane based on a newspaper ad, but because the six-figure price for a full page buys the newspaper."

From ... The Ancient History of Military Reform The article is a review of a book by Winslow Wheeler and Lawerence Korb titled "Military Reform: A Reference Handbook" that I suspect I'll have to go read.

Usually, I find Mr. Lind's writings at Defense and the National Interest

You can find Mr. Wheeler's writings at www.counterpunch.org You can search the site for his writings, including an excellent series on the true amounts we are spending on 'defense'. Search

No comments: